News and Upcoming Events 



Would You Like To Become More Involved With ILFA?

Perhaps you could do a once-off fundraising event such as a coffee morning or maybe you would be interested in setting up a local ILFA support group where you live.

You can decide what level of involvement you would like to have. If you are interested in getting more involved, ILFA would like to hear from you.

You can contact us via post @ PO Box 10456, Blackrock, County Dublin; via email @ or by calling 086 871 5264

Practical Help

Mobility Aids


Application forms for the EU Disabled Person's Parking Card are available from The Disabled Drivers Association, Ballindine,Claremorris, Co. Mayo. The Association can also be contacted at Tel: 094 9364054 / 9364266 Fax: 094 9364336.

The Disabled Person's Parking Card entitles you to park at parking meters and in disk parking areas without charge and without a time limit.

It also entitles you to park in assigned parking spaces that have the wheelchair symbol painted on the ground or in a bay where the symbol is displayed.

You do, however, have to pay the parking charge in private car parks.

The parking permit can be displayed on your own car or on the car of the person driving you.

The parking card is valid in all member states of the European Union.

Your local council may consider a request for a DISABLED PERSON'S PARKING BAY outside your home if certain conditions are met. To obtain full details of the requirements contact the Traffic Department at your local county council.



Wheelchairs are obtainable from: The Irish Wheelchair Association Head Office, Blackheath Drive, Clontarf, Dublin 3. Tel. 01 818 6400

Email: Website:

Avoid 'off-the-peg', cheaper wheelchairs as these are less comfortable for the patient and heavier for the carer, when it comes to putting them into a car. The better wheelchairs are made to measure patient's back and legs. Ask for a wheelchair bag to carry items and a cape for patient in case it rains, while you are out. Ask about funding the wheelchair through the Health Board or the VHI. Generally, severly disabled lung fibrosis patients will not be able to mobilise wheelchairs on their own, even the electric variety, especially since they have to manage portable oxygen cylinder at the same time.



Severely disabled Lung Fibrosis patients may not be able to climb up stairs. Stairlifts can be installed in about 3 hours. For a list of suppliers of stairlifts see the ILFA Directory of Services.

You may be entitled to a Disabled Persons Grant to assist with the cost of installing a stairlift. Contact your local Health Authority office for an application form. If you do qualify for a grant an occupational therapist will first have to provide a report and you will be required to submit two quotations.



The Motorised Transport Grant is a means tested HSE payment for people with disabilities who need to buy a car. This payment is also available to people who need to have a car adapted in order to enable them to drive and, as a result earn a living. Certain conditions must be met to qualify for the grant.

To apply for a motorised transport grant contact your local HSE office.



The Mobility Allowance is a means tested monthly payment payable by the HSE to people between the ages of 16 and 66 years who are unable to walk or to use public transport and may need to make occasional taxi journeys. A lower rate is payable to people availing of the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers Scheme. Apply to your local HSE office.