News and Upcoming Events 



Would You Like To Become More Involved With ILFA?

Perhaps you could do a once-off fundraising event such as a coffee morning or maybe you would be interested in setting up a local ILFA support group where you live.

You can decide what level of involvement you would like to have. If you are interested in getting more involved, ILFA would like to hear from you.

You can contact us via post @ PO Box 10456, Blackrock, County Dublin; via email @ or by calling 086 871 5264

Practical Help

Income Maintenance


Illness Benefit is a weekly payment made to people who are unable to work due to illness, are under 66 years of age and satisfy certain PRSI contribution conditions. For details of these conditions see the website of the Department of Social and Family Affairs You will need to submit weekly medical certificates to the Department unless they advise you otherwise. These certificates are available free of charge from your GP.



If you do not satisfy the PRSI contributions for Illness Benefit you may be entitled to a Disability Allowance. This is paid weekly to people aged between 16 and 66 who have a disability that is expected to last at least one year. It is means tested and the patient must be medically suitable. For more information about this allowance and how means are calculated see the website of the Department of Social and Family Affairs



Invalidity Pension is payable to people who are permanently unable to work because of an illness or disability and satisfy the PRSI contribution conditions.

If you are

  • over 60 and have a serious illness or incapacity or
  • have been incapable of work for at least twelve months (you will probably have been receiving Disability Benefit during this period)and likely to be incapable of work for another twelve months

you may qualify for this pension.

Contact the Department of Social and Family Affairs for information on how to apply.



If your income from your Social Welfare or HSE payment is too low to meet certain special needs (e.g. exceptional heating requirements due to ill-health, or special dietary requirements due to a medical condition), a weekly supplement may be available. You will need to provide medical evidence of your condition before your application can be processed.

Apply to your local Social Welfare office or the Department of Social and Family Affairs, College Road, Sligo. Tel: 1890 50 00 00



An Exceptional Needs Payment may be approved by the HSE for a one-off exceptional expenditure, which a person could not reasonably be expected to meet out of their weekly income. People eligible to apply for an exceptional needs payment would normally be in receipt of a social welfare or HSE payment.

Contact your local health centre for more details and an application form.