News and Upcoming Events 



Would You Like To Become More Involved With ILFA?

Perhaps you could do a once-off fundraising event such as a coffee morning or maybe you would be interested in setting up a local ILFA support group where you live.

You can decide what level of involvement you would like to have. If you are interested in getting more involved, ILFA would like to hear from you.

You can contact us via post @ PO Box 10456, Blackrock, County Dublin; via email @ or by calling 086 871 5264

Practical Help

Home Help and Home Modifications


Home Help assistance can be organised through your local health centre.

An initial assessment of your needs will be carried out to determine what activities you need assistance with.

Some of the cleaning duties that may be carried out by a home-care worker include; general cleaning, ironing, making beds and vacuuming.

The home-care worker may also assist with washing, dressing and food preparation.

You will be able to arrange suitable days, times and duties with your home-care worker once you have been approved for home help services. You may be asked to make a small weekly contribution towards the cost of this service.



It is recommended that you consult an occupational therapist before making any alterations to your home. An occupational therapist will assess your immediate and long-term needs with regard to your ability to function independently and perform daily tasks in your living and working environments.

He or she will visit your home or work place and help you modify your living space to best suit your needs. The occupational therapist will also be able to advise you about appropriate equipment and appliances, including stairlifts, bathroom devices, etc., to improve your comfort and independence.

You can arrange to see a community occupational therapist through your local health centre. Ask your GP for a referral. However, it may take some time to arrange an assessment by a community occupational therapist and you may wish to engage the services of a private therapist at your own expense. A list of registered occupational therapists in private practice is available from their professional organisation. The Directory of Occupational Therapists in Private Practice can be viewed on the organisations website



A grant is available for home modifications recommended by an occupational therapist. Home modifications covered by this grant include; stairlift installation, bathroom modifications, widening of home entrances/exits to enable wheelchair access and the provision of ramps. Contact your local HSE office for more information and an application form.



This can be very helpful if you are on your own for any length of time.